The Beverly Taylor Sorenson Center for the Arts is expected to change the cultural life of Cedar City, Utah and its surrounding region. The Center for the Arts will combine visual arts with education. The project itself encompasses approximately 5.5 acres of site development and two brand new buildings: The Southern Utah Museum of Arts (SUMA), and the Utah Shakespeare Festival (USF) Facility.
Located on the campus of Southern Utah University, the Southern Utah Museum of Arts is a single-story building that will feature flexible gallery space, classrooms, offices for administrators and staff, and art processing and storage. The building’s structural system includes concrete footings and foundation walls with structural steel columns. A unique feature to the building is that its roof will extend out to create a covered plaza. This extension will provide additional space for outdoor events near the lobby to the museum.
- ENR Mountain States – 2017 Best Cultural/Worship Project
- ENR Mountain States – 2017 Excellence in Safety Merit Award
- ABC Utah – 2016 Champion of the Year
- ABC Utah – 2016 Institution Over $10 Million
- Utah Construction & Design – 2016 Outstanding Community Institutional Project
- AGC Utah – 2016 Cultural Project of the Year